Vans Checkerboard Old Skool Platform is another version in Vans Old Skool line of shoes. Checkerboard is available in Black and White Checkered and Black and Pink Dogwood Checkered colourway. There are many reviewers that said that the shoe fits true to size.
This version of Old Skool Platform can be a great option for those that love unisex pair. There are variety of sizes for men and women. As some reviewers said, this platform shoe can match with any men jeans, joggers or shorts. As for women, they can match it with skirts and leggings to give a more womanly look.
Find out more about the shoe below.
Colourway: Black/True White
- Canvas and Suede upper
- Metal eyelet
- Padded collar
- The classic side stripe
- Outsole: Rubber waffle outsole
- Heel Type: Platform
- Lace-Up closure
- Reinforced toecap to withstand wear
- Support and flexibility from the padded collars
- Good traction for effective surface gripping
- Checkerboard runs a little big
There have been quite a good number of people that have reviewed the Vans Checkerboard Old Skool Platform. I’ve spent some hours going through variety of the reviews. In summary, here are what the reviewers are saying:
- Most Reviewers recommended the shoe
- Reviewers regarded the Old Skool Platform shoes as very comfortable
- Many users said that the shoe is really good to walk in
- A high number of reviewers commented that the shoe fits true to size
- Many fans admitted that they love Vans Old Skool Platform shoes in general
- A good number of reviewers said that the shoe is stylish, comfortable and looks great
- A customer said that it’s a great walking shoe and doesn’t need any break in period
- Some reviewers appreciated the comfort of the shoe when used as a work shoe, especially retail work
- This shoe goes with many outfits and very good for dancing said some users
- Some reviewers said that the shoe can be used as both formal and casual wear
- A few reviewers said that the shoe runs a bit big and recommended going half a size down
- A customer said the shoe looks nice but has no cushion inside and rubs against her heel, and therefore gave the shoe a thumb down
For some people, reading a review is such a task that they don’t want to always get involved in so they look for a section where the rating breakdown is. Rating breakdown is a quick helpful way to know the percentage of positivity and negativity a product has based on customers rating.
I have created a pie chart that shows the percentage of the customer rating from 1 to 5 star below.
Checkerboard is rated 4.6 out of 5 on Vans US site at the time of this post.
93% of reviewers recommended the shoe.
Here is a pie chart showing the rating in percentage:
In this video, the reviewer did a bit of introduction to the shoe. She showed the sides and talked a bit about the material inside. She later showed the look of shoe on feet.
Enjoy the video here:
Vans Old Skool is one of the most famous Vans line of shoe. The Checkerboard is another version of the Old Skool with extra 1.25 inch tall . It is a shoe that has the comfort any sneaker can offer. Based on a high number of users, this version is very good for walking, working in a shop or just for any casual lifestyle look. Many reviewers appreciate the fact that the shoe is very affordable.
The Upper, midsole, and outsole are usually the main parts that define a shoe. The part that covers the back of the foot, the toe area and the instep is commonly referred to as the upper part. It is the part above the sole and usually fixed to the sole. On the other hand, the midsole is the middle layer between the outsole and inner sole. The outer sole or outsole is usually the outer layer of the sole that makes direct contact with the ground. The outsole is the part that enables surface gripping, providing some supports for the foot.
- Checkerboard sticks to its root with the traditional lacing.
- It features the iconic sidestripe and a combination of suede and canvas materials in the upper.
- The collar is well padded for additional cushioning and comfort.
- Reinforced toecap to ensure durability
- What you could also find in the upper is the metal eyelets.
- Thicker midsole is a noticeable feature in the Vans Checkerboard Old Skool Platform
- Vans of the wall branding can be found at the back
- Taller platform compared to its predecessors
- The chunkier sole provides more cushioning and support
- Just like other Vans Old Skool shoe, the outsole provides good traction
- Checkerboard features the outsole that’s similar to its predecessors’
- It features series of diamond-like cuts
Vans Old Skool was introduced in 1977. It was known as Vans #36 or Style #36 back then. Checkerboard was debuted with the now popular Vans Sidestripe which Paul Van Doren, a Vans co-founder, originally referred to as “jazz stripe”. The Old Skool was the Vans’ first skate shoe that utilised leather panels to ensure increase in durability.
By the 80s, fans got curious about the aesthetic of the shoe and started customising it in a way to show expression and individualism. As the shoe became more popular in the market, Vans continued to release the old skool in a variety of colourways.
Checkerboard had become very popular by the 90s. Skaters, hip-hop stars, rock stars, and many celebrities had become huge fans of the Old Skool. Checkerboard had also become one of Vans most popular shoes.
Since a way of showing expression and individualism seems like a fashionable idea, Vans decided to continue the 80s tradition by launching Vans customs in 2004. With Vans customs, fans have a chance to customize their shoe with their favourite colours and the patterns they choose.
Vans Old Skool is very recognizable by almost everyone today and it’s a very famous shoe that many skaters, celebrities, and so on fancy very much. Over the years, the shoe has been released in different versions. Vans Checkerboard Old Skool Platform is one of those versions. The Checkerboard Old Skool Platform is available in two colourways which are Black and Pink Dogwood Checkered and Black and White Checkered.