There are shoes specifically made for certain purposes.
For example, as you may already know, there are shoes made for running, training, weightlifting, hiking, etc.
These shoes tend to perform better when used for the purposes they are made for than when used for different purposes.
This article is about 5 best-rated hiking shoes.
Please do not confuse hiking shoes with hiking boots. They are two different types of hiking footwear.
For simple clarity, one of the main differences between a hiking shoe and a hiking boot is that the former is a low-cut design footwear that does not cover your ankle when you wear it whereas the latter has a high-top construction that covers your ankle.
So, height is one of the main differences between hiking shoes and hiking boots.
The high-top construction of hiking boots tend to offer some level of ankle support, but the low-top construction of hiking shoes makes them more lightweight than the boots.
Many people know which hiking footwear is best for them.
Some may go for hiking shoes while others may choose hiking boots.
A hiker may have both and tend to use each based on the hiking trail.
The point is both footwears are good, but it matters to get the right one for your hiking trail.
Also, hiking shoes allow an easy change of pace which means it creates a chance for nimble mobility.
Unlike hiking boots, hiking shoes are a good option for travel.
If you don’t need a shoe for extra ankle support, a hiking shoe is a great option.
After doing some research and digging deeper on the best hiking shoes in 2019, we decided to select 5 of the best shoes for hiking.
The following are the list of the selected ones:
When it comes to lightweight hiking shoes, Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX is a great choice for many hikers.
- Upper features polyurethane (PU) coated leather, anti-debris mesh, and waterproof material
- Mid-cut profile
- Midsole features a high performance foam, aka EnergyCell, that reduces shock
- The outsole has Chevron lugs for improving traction on soft surfaces e.g mud or loose dirt, and Contagrip® TD for maximum traction on mixed terrain.
- Mesh and textile lining
- Gusseted tongue on the upper prevent debris from entering the interior
- Quicklace® lacing system
- Protective toecap
- Sensifit™ provides a secure, snug, and customised fit
- Molded OrthoLite® sockliner
- Lace pocket provides easy storage for the Quicklace lacing system
- Durable Polyurethane Coated Leather for supportive construction
- Breathable molded OrthoLite insole provides adequate cushioning and comfort
- The Contagrip® outsole provides a satisfying traction on mixed terrain
- Waterproof material prevents water from entering the in-shoe from the upper even when under pressure
- Constructed with Anti-debris Mesh which prevents debris from being trapped between your foot and the insole
- QuickLace lacing system for easier and quicker lace
- Short break-in period
- Provides arch and heel support
Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator hiking shoe is highly rated and favoured by many hikers.
Budget-minded hikers are quite happy for its price tag.
- The closed-cell foam tongue prevents moisture and debris
- The merrell air cushion in the heel is capable of absorbing shock and improve stability
- High rating for its gripping outsole
- Easy to break-in according to many wearers
- Budget-friendly price tag makes it more preferable by many hikers
- It provides arch support
- Long-wearing construction
- according to a good number of online buyers, the hiking shoe fits true to size
The North Face Ultra 110 GTX is considered by some reviewers as the best do it all model.
The shoe is one of the best rated hiking shoes you could find out there.
- Breathable mesh upper
- Waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX® membrane upper
- Gusseted tongue
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) toe cap for protection
- Midsole: EVA
- OrthoLite® footbed for supportive cushion
- Multi-directional lugs on the outsole for better gripping
- Outsole: UltrATAC rubber
- ESS Midfoot shank
- GORE-TEX® provides comfort and long-lasting waterproof protection
- The gusseted tongue prevents trail debris from getting into the interior
- Remarkable Arch Support
- ESS midfoot shank provides protection from a rocky platform
- Runs true to size
- Sturdy and can perform well on rough trails
- Grippy outsole
- Breathable and high-abrasion mesh upper
- Polyurethane (PU) TechLite toe cap and heel
- High abrasion resistance material on the upper
- Compressed EVA midsole
- Ortholite footbed provides comfortable cushion
- Waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX® SURROUND® technology
- Mesh and Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) upper with lining that’s breathable
- Traditional lacing system
- EVA removable insole
- Merrell Air cushion in the heel for shock absorption and stability
- Grippy rubber outsole for excellent traction
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) Film Heel Counter provides security
- Flex-groove EVA midsole for stability and agility
- Bellow tongue prevents debris from entering the in-shoe
The hiking shoes above are some of the best hiking shoes you could find in the market this year.
What set them apart from others are their functionalities and the way they are designed to perform well in rugged terrains.
They are affordable and better options for hikers.